Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Not Only...



NOT ONLY do I love this dog...but I very much respect him. Chew is thoughtful and wise. He is an old soul with depth in his gaze. Chew can be rather serious, and doesn't easily allow his inner-puppy out to play; though when he does, he is silly and sweet and funny and frisky. While he likes his own space, and knows what he wants and when he wants it, he is also a constant companion. He has an independent spirit, but craves affection, and seeks the praise of approval for being a GOOD BOY. Chew is loving and sensitive; his intelligence is tangible; his personality complex. He thinks things through and figures out how to solve problems. I watch him LEARN as it happens in moments, and I am amazed every day. He is also simply a dog. A wonderful, beautiful, precious dog...who loves to wrestle with his buddies, and run at top speed after tennis balls, and go for long walks on crisp autumn afternoons.

Not only am I happy to have Chew around...I am helped, challenged and healed through my relationship with Chew. I love him with my whole heart, though I recognize that he is not my pet. He is a dog whose purpose is to serve. And I am a person whose purpose is to serve. And he and I have come together to do important work in this world.

Graduation day is fast approaching. And - while we are not 100% certain as to Chew's fate - it looks as though he is going to be paired up with a person who suffers from PTSD, likely an Iraq veteran just home from war.

I can't really allow myself to think ahead to a few weeks from now, when we (the Associates students in Assistance Dog Education) will welcome clients of our own, to a Bergin Boot Camp WE WILL RUN. We will be teaching what we were taught our first two weeks at school, and guiding these incoming service dog recipients through the intense training process that we ourselves experienced just a couple of months ago.

I find myself, as the time draws nearer, indulging in visions of Chew...walking "across the stage" with his new forever companion...graduating with honors...ready to embark on his new life. If I think too much about it, though, i will completely flood with emotion and pride (for all of the dogs and all of us students!)...and that is a dam I dare not let loose until the day arrives to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment