Friday, November 9, 2012

About Puppies...

The puppies are growing up before our eyes, getting more amazing, smart and capable every day. My puppy, Kristina, is now walking with me on the leash for up to a mile (around our neighborhood). Last night, I took her to play on the playground equipment at the elementary school by our house. She even went down the slide in my lap :) She is doing FANTASTICALLY well with leash walking/ no forging. We practice the LET'S GO command, moving forward when the leash is loose, stopping dead in our tracks as soon as there is any tension whatsoever. As we're moving, I am telling her "atta girl, good girl", and treating her "in the sweet spot" (which is directly to my side, not out in front of me or lagging behind me). When she pulls, I say "nope", and we stop. As soon as there is any inkling of slack in the leash again, we move. She already understands very clearly how she is to walk on the leash; I've watched her learn it at lightning speed, and feel SO PROUD of her as we are walking up the street!
This morning, we went into Starbucks, Kristina wearing her little SERVICE DOG cape. And everyone in the coffee shop just about fell to their knees as she trotted by their tables. She is so amazing and precious...and our bond grows stronger by the day. ESPECIALLY because she is now at a point where I don't have to worry about her going potty in the house every ten minutes! This was not the case even a week ago! But as of last night, she truly started seeming not like a puppy, but like a true DOG...a little, awesome, smart, snuggly dog...well on her way to becoming a a service dog, and making someone an incredible lifelong partner and helpmate.




No comments:

Post a Comment