Sunday, November 18, 2012

I RAN.

I ran tonight. I truly ran, if only for half a mile. It has been over three months now that my hips have been bothering me; and I've been in too much pain to run; and I've been totally focused on NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN BECAUSE OF THE PAIN IN MY HIPS. I've undergone acupuncture treatments and have been consistent with stretching and Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown. Chew and I have walked. We've walked miles upon miles around our neighborhood, day after day. And every single walk has had value. Value that I tried not to take for granted, in spite of my resentment about the lack of ability to run. I've tried very much to accept the circumstances and be patient, and trust that I would - someday - run again.

Well, today was the day. Not because my hips stopped hurting. Rather, because I decided I wasn't going to let the pain stop me.

Yesterday, Chew and I took a vigorous night walk in the rain, and we got far enough into the speed-walking zone that we ended up lightly jogging about the last half block to our house. This was what pushed my desperation for a run over the edge. Today, Chew and I took three walks, two of them with Jodie and Eric. I made sure Chew got all the exercise he needed, because I knew that when I went for this epic .3 mile run tonight, I would need to fly solo. It was simply something I had to do...plus, Chew isn't much of a runner. A jogger, he can be when persuaded; or dragged; a sprinter he is simply not.

So I left him with a treat after our long night walk and bolted out the door. In spite of the pain, I ran like the wind. And that SOMETHING (which running and running alone sparks in my blood and lungs and racing heart)came alive again. It broke free of its heavy, miserable dormancy; and GOD, IT FELT GOOD!

I might be extremely sore tomorrow. In fact, I know I will be because I feel it creeping in as I type. But no matter. The ten minutes of sheer, empowering freedom I felt tonight will have been well worth the resulting pain. And since I might have pain whether I run or not, I'm going to choose pain with a purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment