Friday, January 18, 2013

The Bergin Diaries

Since returning to school a week and a half ago, we have done several incredibly cool things! We said goodbye to our first semester dogs, and hello to our second semester dogs, which was emotional on many levels. Chew, along with two other dogs from our class, Fagan and Hannah, joined the PAWS FOR PURPLE HEARTS program in Menlo Park, where he/they will be working with veterans with PTSD. As this is an entirely different facility and program, and therefore will be completely different than his experience on the Bergin campus, I think it will be good for Chew. Even though I worry slightly about his sensitivity to transition, I have faith that he will do great. I think he is going to really spread his wings, and find his niche. And if that isn't the case, then another role will be designated for Chew. No matter what he does, I know he will do great. I love and miss him, but I'm happy for him and excited about his new opportunity at the VA hospital.

I have also fallen head over heels for my new canine companion, Elyse. Dogs' absolute presence "in the moment" carries over into the immediacy of the emotional connection between us and them. Not a minute passed between the instant I took Elyse's leash, and the instant I completely loved her. Dogs' hearts are just that pure. And Elyse, in particular, is one of the sweetest of them all!

Meanwhile, we've had a variety of awesome seminars and guest speakers over the last several days. I constantly reflect on how LUCKY we are to be students at Bergin...and how we are really part of something entirely unique...and truly amazing.

Here are some snapshots of all the cool things we've been doing...

* * *

We completed a pet CPR and First Aid class...


We visited Louisa Craviatto's awesome facility in Petaluma, a swimming and hydrotherapy center for dogs! http://www.theswimmingdog.com/





















We've been practicing our reading-with-dogs skills, as we will soon get our elementary school assignments, and begin working with kids! For that, I cannot wait! To help us prepare, Bonnie came around to each pair of us, lay down on the floor and emulated a little kid. It was adorable and funny.




We were lucky also to have Nancy Burns and her dog, Toast, demonstrate Bioresonance Therapy! Check out Nancy's website for more information on her healing practice: http://www.quantumpettherapy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment