Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fred Comes to Work

Fred's and my first night together was a little rough, but that was to be expected. The crate is new to Fred, (and he's a wittle bitty baby dog), so he woke up crying several times during the night. Dare I say I have at least an inkling of what it must feel like to bring a home a (human) baby? 
Truly, it is a sobering thought that this amazing little angel dog is mine to care for in every possible way, 24/7, for the first year of his life! It is my job to make sure he is as safe, healthy, well-trained and happy as he can possibly be, as we are laying the foundation this year upon which Fred's work as a service dog will stand. 
At any rate, I know this is all part of the process, and that the process will no doubt being challenges along the way. The brilliant part is that these very challenges - and all the others I anticipate will be a part of my evolving work endeavors - are the kind of challenges I have WORKED THROUGH EVERY OTHER CHALLENGE IN LIFE to get to. In other words, the challenge is FINALLY not "what side job do I have to have in order to support the struggling pursuit of my true passion?" But rather, now the foundation has been laid, and I GET TO TRULY DO THE WORK I WAS PUT ON THIS PLANET TO DO. I get to help people and dogs become the very best animals they can be, and reach the unlimited potential they never knew they had in them!
But I digress. 
It's now 11:30, and Fred has been sound asleep in his crate for over an hour. Already so much better than last night! This is in part because being ridiculously precious is exhausting work!
I brought Fred with me to work at Petco today, where every person that laid eyes on him gasped for breath and clutched at their hearts and just...swooned. 
My fellow associates took turns holding Fred and carrying him around when I had to jump on the register or teach a class. Cody - also known as Dr. Doolittle - even rocked the fur-baby into a deep sleep, so that he could rest easy in his crate for the remainder of my shift.
It's been a long day. But my heart is simply overflowing with joy and gratitude for little Fred...for Good Dog Autism Companions (Laura, Rick, Elliott and Orbit)...for the child with autism whose  dog Fred will become...for everything and everyone in my life that has helped me reach this point. Eternally grateful for Dog and for God!

No comments:

Post a Comment