Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Kristina's Kristmas Miracle

'Twas the day before I was to board a Denver-bound plane for the Holidays, and nothing but confusion was stirring, as to whether or not I would bring my service-pup-in-training, six month old Kristina, home with me.

As her sole trainer since she was four weeks old, I so badly wanted to provide her with this growth experience. But for many reasons, namely that her presence around my Dad's pets would likely cause more stress than not, I intuitively felt like it wouldn't be the best idea.

Conflicted and frustrated, I had turned all possible scenarios over and over in my mind; and ultimately - by the day before my departure - had determined that I should probably leave her behind. Though I was decided, I certainly was not resolved. I knew what I needed to do, but it made me sad - and worried that I would feel regret and/or guilt - to have to do it.

So, for our last day together, I took Kristina to Spring Lake for some quality outdoor time. At the end of our long walk/jog, we sat on a bench alongside the trail to breathe in the beauty of the afternoon and watch from a distance as the ducks splashed in the lake. Within a few minutes, a lovely couple walked by with their eight year old golden lab, Kobe, who had the sweet, gentle eyes of an old soul, and jingle bells around his collar. With the dogs as common ground, we struck up a conversation that quickly morphed into an excited exchange of magical possibilities.

The couple were Kat and Sandrew, who, by the synchronistic powers of fate, happen to know Bonnie Bergin, and have in fact raised puppies for CCI - Canine Companions for Independence. Not only were they already versed in service dog training vernacular, but it also turns out that Kat is an animal advocate in heart, soul and practice! She runs a nationwide animal rescue database, and for so many other reasons, struck me immediately as someone in whose care I would feel more than comfortable leaving Kristina.

Throwing the caution that generally accompanies "random meetings of strangers" to the wind, I told Kat and Sandrew my story. I poured forth my dilemma, and - intuitively feeling like it might actually interest them - asked if they might consider fostering Kristina for the next two weeks.

At the mention of the idea, we all marveled at the notion that it just might work, and predicted that a "Christmas Miracle" just may be unfolding. For the next 30 minutes, Kat and Sandrew took turns with Kristina's leash, walking her up and down the trail, having her interact with their dog, and thinking aloud as they began pondering a big decision of their own. At one point, two women passed us coming the opposite direction on the trail, and all three of us heard one of them say, in no discernible context, something about a "Christmas Miracle". As we had just used those exact words in reference to the dog, this was uncanny, and a very "meaningful coincidence". I think for all of us, this kind of "sealed the deal". We said our goodbyes, and my new friends told me they would let Lauren at the school know by later that afternoon what they had decided.

Before I had even made it home, Lauren called and told me she had spoken with Kat, and that she would be taking Kristina to their house the following morning (to meet the couple and, if all went well, drop the puppy off with them).

Kristina and I spent our last night together, happy and snuggling in front of the Christmas tree. Relieved, and elated that she would be having an adventure all her own, I dropped Kristina off at the school on my way to the airport the next morning. I took off for Denver knowing that this amazing puppy would indeed have a growth experience, and would be in the hands of two loving, highly capable people...and their golden boy Kobe!

I also felt so thankful that I could spend my vacation relaxing, enjoying a break from training, and getting the very most out of time spent with my human, canine and feline family members at home in Colorado.

Kat and Sandrew, I can't thank you enough. What a GIFT it was to meet you that day in the park, and to know you now. God and Dog Bless, and Merry Christmas!



















Kristina and Kobe on Kristmas Morning :)










No comments:

Post a Comment